Obtain a NIE in Spain
The NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) is the identification number in Spain for everyone who is not a Spanish citizen. Both EU citizens and non-EU citizens get issued a NIE. The NIE is not a fiscal residency identification; you can have a NIE and be fiscal resident in another country.
Follow these steps to obtain a NIE number:
- Fill out the online NIE application form (EX-15), and print. You can also obtain this form at any NIE office. See this sample NIE form and translation of the NIE form for help in filling out this form.
- If you’re in Spain, go to the police station or Oficina de Extranjeros. Outside of Spain, go to the nearest Spanish Consulate (notice that is the “Consulate dept legalizaciones” not the Embassy).You must bring:
- The filled-out form
- A supporting document (such as a notarised letter) showing why you need a NIE (required as of April 2012)
- A copy of your passport (all pages)
- A passport photo
- Approx 12€ to pay Tax Form 790
For those who would like help in the process, we offer the following service:
We make an appointment for you at the local Oficina de Extranjeros. We fill out the EX-15 form and go with you to the office.
Assistance in applying for residency in Spain for EU citizens
We assist you in preparing the paperwork, including the EX-18 form. The following documents are necessary:
- Spanish social security number or private medical insurance
- Vida Laboral
- If you have a spouse: a marriage certificate, translated and certified by a judge
- If you have children: a Libro de Familia
Note that the NIE must include an address in Spain. You can use our firm’s address if you hire our services to form an SL or any other service that allows us to represent you in Spain. Otherwise we won’t be able to receive the NIE certificate on your behalf.
What does the NIE number look like?
The NIE consists of an ‘X’ or ‘Y’ followed by 7 or 8 digits then another letter.
Do I need a NIE number?
The NIE number is needed in order to file taxes, buy property, establish a business, open a bank account, and for almost all other forms you fill out. When forming a company, everyone who will be directors and shareholders of the company will need a NIE, as a result of the Fraud Prevention Act which came into force on February 2005. This is the first step in forming a company or in buying a shelf company.